On Tuesday, May 4/17, the 15th anniversary of the restoration of the fullness of ecclesiastical unity within the Russian Orthodox Church, and the eve of the anniversary of the enthronement of His Eminence Hilarion, Metropolitan of Eastern America & New York, First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, a session of the Synod of Bishops of ROCOR was held, presided over by His Eminence Mark, Metropolitan of Berlin & Germany.
The members of the Synod of Bishops of the Russian Church Abroad announced with great sorrow that on May 3/16, the feast day of Venerable Theodosius, Abbot of the Kiev Caves, His Eminence Hilarion, Metropolitan of Eastern America & New York, First Hierarch of the Russian Church Abroad, reposed in the Lord.
In connection with this, it was DECREED:
- To call upon the episcopacy, clergy, and the entire faithful flock of the Russian Church Abroad, during the Paschal season, to commemorate the name of His Eminence, Metropolitan Hilarion, in all churches of the Russian Diaspora at the augmented litany of Divine Liturgy as follows: "Again we pray for the blessed and pious Orthodox patriarchs, for pious kings and right-believing queens; and for the founders of this holy temple and the newly-departed Metropolitan Hilarion and for all our fathers and brethren gone to their rest before us, and the Orthodox here and everywhere laid to rest." On Friday, June 11/24, on the 40th day of the repose of His Eminence, to perform a panihida.
- To celebrate a hierarchal Divine Liturgy on Saturday, May 8/21, at 7:30 in the morning, at the Cathedral of the Sign, followed by a monastic funeral at 10:30 (white vestments). The burial shall be performed on Sunday, May 9/22, at 3 o’clock at Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville, NY.
- The name of His Eminence Mark, Metropolitan of Berlin & Germany, shall be commemorated during divine services in all churches of the Russian Church Abroad, immediately following the name of His Holiness Kyrill, Patriarch of Moscow & All Russia.
- To request that Metropolitan Mark of Berlin & Germany temporarily receive under his omophorion all churches, monasteries, and Church institutions which have stavropegial status under the direct authority of the President of the Synod of Bishops.
- To appoint as acting ruling bishop of the widowed Eastern American Diocese His Grace Nicholas, Bishop of Manhattan, whose name shall be commemorated during divine services in all churches of said diocese immediately following the name of the President of the Synod of Bishops.
- To appoint as acting ruling bishop of the Diocese of Australia and New Zealand, which had until now been under the omophorion of the late Metropolitan Hilarion of blessed memory, His Grace George, Bishop of Canberra, whose name should be commemorated during divine services in all churches of said diocese immediately following the name of the President of the Synod of Bishops.
- On Friday, May 7/20, to make determinations on the scheduling of a Council of Bishops and other urgent matters in Church life.
Archbishop of San Francisco & Western America
Secretary of the Synod of Bishops