On Saturday the 4th and Sunday the 5th of September, the brethren of Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville, NY celebrated their lesser patronal feast, in honor of Venerable Job of Pochaev. The divine services were officiated by His Grace Luke, Bishop of Syracuse and abbot of the monastery.
The traditions and history of the Holy Trinity Monastery are very much connected with the famous Lavra of the Pochaev Icon of the Most Holy Theotokos in Volhynia, present-day Ukraine. Although the monastery was founded in 1930 by Archimandrite Panteleimon (Nizhnik; +1984), they were joined in 1946 by a group of 14 monks from the St. Job of Pochaev Monastery in Ladomirová, Czechoslovakia, who had fled the area as the Red Army approached, and eventually found their new home in Holy Trinity Monastery. Thus began the intimate connection with the traditions of the Pochaev Lavra, one of the most famous Russian monasteries.
To honor these traditions of the abbacy of St. Job and the Heavenly protection afforded the fathers from the Pochaev icon of the Most Holy Theotokos, and taking advantage of the long civil holiday of Labor Day weekend, the fathers decided to have an "All-People’s Pilgrimage" during this weekend.
Originally the Pochaev Icon, a gift from Pochaev to the brotherhood in Czechoslovakia, was kept in the old cathedral in the Bronx, NY and brought to the monastery for this occasion. However, the icon eventually found its permanent home in the monastery. On the great feast of the Dormition, the icon is taken in procession at the end of Divine Liturgy to the cemetery Church of the Dormition and then, on the Saturday afternoon of the pilgrimage weekend, is solemnly brought back to the cathedral in procession as the choir sings hymns of the Dormition.
Thereupon a moleben and akathist are served to St. Job with hymns of the Pochaev Icon and the Dormition added in. This is done as part of the Rule for Communion and begins the monastery celebrations.