Photo Report: Jerusalem through the Eyes of a Pilgrim
On August 1-14, His Grace Nicholas, Bishop of Manhattan, led parishioners of the Russian Church Abroad from the U.S., Canada, and Australia on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land. Among the pilgrims were Priest George and Matushka Elizaveta Temidis from the New Kursk Root Hermitage in Mahopac, NY. Matushka Elizaveta is a regular contributor to the Eastern American Diocesan website, and her photographs are well known to our readers. The editors wish to express their sincerest gratitude to Matushka for sharing her photographs of the pilgrimage.
New photographs will be added to this page over the next several days.
- Day One: Holy Trinity Cathedral at the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission. Reception with Patriarch Theophilos III of Jerusalem. Church of the Holy Sepulcher, Golgotha, place of the finding of the Cross. Tomb of the Theotokos. Gethsemane. St. Mary Magdalene Russian Monastery, Vigil.
- Day Two: Patronal feast day in St. Mary Magdalene Monastery on the Mount of Olives. Via Dolorosa (Way of the Cross). Church of the Holy Sepulcher, Golgotha, place of the finding of the Cross.
- Day Three: Gorny Monastery (site of St. Elizabeth's greeting of the Theotokos). Birthplace of St. John the Forerunner. St. John's hermitage. Tomb of Righteous Elizabeth. Midnight Liturgy at the Lord's Tomb.
- Day Four: Lydda: Church and tomb of the Great-Martyr George. Jaffa: St. Tabitha Metochion of the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission; Church and tomb of Righteous Tabitha. Mediterranean Sea.
UPDATED ON 8/16/2017:
- Day 5: Liturgy in the Cave of Christ’s Nativity. Shepherds’ Field. Judæan Desert: Monastery of Venerable Theodosius the Great (Deir Dosi); Lavra of Venerable Sabbas the Sanctified (Mar Saba). Hebron: Metochion of the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission, Oak of Mamre.
- Day 6: Jerusalem: Panorama of the Old City. Bethany: Meeting place of Jesus Christ and Mary before the resurrection of Lazarus; girls’ school. Judæan Desert: Pharan (Far’a) Monastery of Venerable Chariton the Confessor.
- Day 7: Mount Tabor: Catholic Monastery, wonderworking Icon "Unfading Bloom," piece of the stone of the Lord’s Transfiguration. Nazareth: Cana of Galilee, the well of the Most Holy Theotokos at the site of the Annunciation. Immersion in the River Jordan.
UPDATED ON 8/20/2017:
Day 8: Galilee. Mount of Beatitudes. Tabgha: multiplication of the loaves. Capernaum: house of the Apostle Peter; ruins of the ancient synagogue; Monastery of the Twelve Apostles, site of the healing of the paralytic. Magdala: Monastery of the Holy Equal-of-the-Apostles Mary Magdalene and the curative springs.
Day 9: Mount of Temptation. Jericho: tree of Zacchæus. Judæan Desert: Monastery of Venerable Gerasimus of the Jordan. Bethany: tomb of Lazarus of the Four Days.
Day 10: Judæan Desert: Monastery of Venerable George the Chozebite. Nablus (Sichem): Jacob’s Well. Mount of Olives: Footprint of Christ (Ascension); Holy Ascension Russian Convent.
Day 11: Mount of Olives: Liturgy in Holy Ascension Russian Convent; reception with the abbess. Jerusalem: final visit to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher – Christ’s Tomb & Golgotha. Departure: Bethlehem – Tel Aviv – New York City.